Tuesday 3 September 2013

'Cookies' - Teo Yee Shuen

The children did some pretty good in the Writing classes the previous week so I thought I would share some of the better pieces.






Cookies
I had always found my younger sister a nuisance. She was a six-year-old toddler who knew nothing and it was troublesome for me to take care of her. Emily always tried her best to please me but to no avail. However, there was this incident that changed my opinion of her.

Looking at the gorgeous weather outside the house, how I wished I could be out too. It was the first week of school vacations and I was already bored out of my mind, being cooped up at home. Father was at work and Mother had gone to the supermarket to replenish the groceries. I had to look after my younger sister, Emily. I groaned in annoyance as I slumped onto my bed.

Just as my boredom reached its zenith, the telephone rang. Happy that there were other things to do besides babysitting my younger sister, I snatched up the receiver. It was my best friend, Jasmine. Settling down on my bed comfortably, I started to exchange juicy gossip about our classmates with Jasmine. I was so engrossed in the conversation that I lost track of time. I did not even realise it when Emily wandered into the kitchen to look for food.

Meanwhile, Emily scratched her head as she wondered how to reach for the jar of cookies that was placed high up in the cabinet. Her eyes shone and a radiant smile lit up her face when she spotted a stool. She climbed up the counter and opened the cabinet and reached for the jar. Just when Emily was about to come down, she saw the height between herself and the floor. With fear welling up in her, her palms grew sweaty and the smooth jar slipped from her hands. It fell onto the floor and shattered into fragments. Emily’s face blanched in trepidation as she realised she would be in hot water for she had been told never to climb in the kitchen.

I was having a whale of a time when the crash of the jar spoilt my mood. I facepalmed myself and ended the conversation. I went to the kitchen to see what my troublesome sister had done this time. On seeing my annoyed face, Emily felt so guilty that she lost her balance and fell onto the glass shards, as she tried to walk towards me to apologise. She howled in pain as the sharp glass sliced through her clothes and pierced her flesh. Crimson flood oozed from the lacerations, staining her clothes. My eyes widened in terror and without care for my own safety, with only anxiety for Emily, I dashed towards my sister.

I no longer find my sister a troublemaker. I had to protect her! Despite the pain I was experiencing, I carried Emily from the shattered glass and ran to the living room. Just at that moment, Mother returned. She dropped her bags when she saw Emily wailing like a banshee. Mother took in what was happening with a single glance. She stared daggers at me as she cleansed and bandaged Emily’s wounds. She then soothed Emily and got her to take a nap after calling my father. I was on tenterhooks as I awaited my father’s return from work. I shuddered as I imagined my father’s reaction. He would be like a volcano with burning lava coming out and his eyes would be like lightning striking across the sea. Wow, my father was a volcano and his eyes had lightning. I must be crazy.

After what seemed like an eternity, my father came home. Swoosh! The cane sliced through the air as it descended rapidly. Whack! A stinging pain flared up as it made contact with my tender flesh. I held back the instinct to rub the area where the cane had landed because I had learnt from painful experience that a lash across the knuckles was even more agonizing. I clenched my jaws and bit my lower lips, determined not to cry as angry red welts marred my skin. After the caning, I hobbled to my room.

Then I stuffed the pillow into my mouth and tried to stifle my sobs. Finally, the floodgates opened. Suddenly, my door creaked open. I peeked to see who it was. It was Emily. She wandered over to my side and lay beside me. ‘I’m sorry, brother…’ Emily mumbled. Tears flowed out from my eyes even faster. I hugged her tightly. I’ll always love you, Emily. My adorable sister.


Teo Yee Shuen (Primary 6)

Yishun Primary School



I like this because of the vivid descriptions and the heartfelt love the writer had for his sister which was conveyed in a simple but realistic manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment