Thursday 5 September 2013

Cookies For A Third Time by Grace Song

Here is the last instalment of the Cookies series:








Cookies For A Third Time

‘Jane! Take care of your sister! I’ll be back at ten!’ Mother shouted as she shut the door behind us.

‘Ya. Got it,’ my elder sister, Jane, grumbled, staring at the big blank screen. She waited until she heard the car zoom off, then she stood up. ‘You better not tell Mum, or you die!’ Jane snarled threateningly at me before rushing into Mother’s room to retrieve her handphone. Before long, I heard a shout of triumph. ‘Yes! Found it!’ Jane exclaimed, before rushing out with her black Samsung handphone. Shrugging, I walked to my room and took out my Barbie doll. An evil smile crept across my face as I thought of a way to get Jane into trouble. Jane’s handphone had been confiscated as she was playing games while doing homework. I would tell Mother that Jane had taken the handphone even though she was banned from using it.

Just as I was relishing my sister’s punishment, a grumbling sound jolted me from my thoughts. My stomach reminded me of the jar of cookies in the kitchen cabinet. I rushed to the kitchen and was disappointed to see that I could not reach the cabinet.

Just then, I saw a high stool in the living room. Without hesitation, I pushed it into the kitchen.

‘What are you doing?’ my sister called out.

‘Nothing,’ I answered coldly.

Excitedly, I climbed up the stool and reached for the cabinet door. Just as I was about to get a grip on the glass jar, the slippery glass jar fell from my hands. Time slowed down as the glass jar fell. Down it went and a resounding crash was heard. I stood on the counter top, trembling in trepidation.

The crash jolted Jane from her game and she rushed to my aid. Upon seeing me, she coaxed me into coming down from the counter top. However, I was too afraid to move. Annoyed, Jane stepped forward, totally unaware of a glass fragment which had separated itself from the others. I gasped out loud as I saw Jane’s foot step onto the glass fragment…

‘Ouch!’ Jane shrieked as she collapsed onto the ground. Blood oozed from her cut as the gleaming glass stuck out from her foot. My heart sank as I knew that my sister and I would be in for a bad scolding…

Just at that moment, Mother returned. She dropped her bags and ran into the kitchen where Jane was clutching her leg, moaning in pain. She took in what was happening in a glance. She scolded us as she bandaged Jane’s wound. I kept my mouth shut about the handphone.

Finally, the scolding stopped. Jane thanked me for not telling about her handphone. ‘Well, isn’t that what sisters are for?’ I answered, happy with my good deed that day.


Grace Song (Primary 6)

St Margaret’s Primary School


I like this story because of the twist; the sisters apparently disliked each other at the start but from the incident of the cookie jar, we realise that when it comes to the crux, they cared for each other and would take the necessary steps to help and protect each other.

A good example of a classic story structure in which a layer is peeled to reveal a hidden truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment