Sunday 21 April 2013

Spelling Lists for Semester 1 Week 20

Tip of the Week


Pupils often get these two words confused:


'struck' and 'stuck'


To untangle the confusion, it is good to go back to the base form of both verbs.


'Struck' is the past tense of 'strike'.

'Stuck' is the past tense of 'stick'.


Once we look at both words in relation to their base form, then it becomes pretty clear which word is which because 'r' is present in both 'strike' and 'struck' but not in 'stick' and 'stuck'.



'Struck' is the past tense of 'strike'.

'Stuck' is the past tense of 'stick'.


Lightning never strikes in the same place twice?


~.      ~.      ~.



Advanced Composition

1. affluent
2. starved for affection
3. novelty
4. My vision swam and I slipped into unconsciousness.
5. deduced
6. nonchalantly
7. futilely
8. The realisation hit me like a hundred-pound sledgehammer.


Intermediate Composition

1. My palms were clammy and my heart was pounding rapidly.
2. invigilator
3. difficult
4. Stealthily, I peeped at my neighbour's answers.
5. I copied them down gleefully.
6. caught red-handed
7. principal
8. spanked





No comments:

Post a Comment