Tuesday 9 September 2014

MATHEMATICS: FRACTIONS FOR PRIMARY 6

To spice things up a little here, alongside the one composition a week, I'll also be posting up worked solutions of Maths word problems here on an ad-hoc basis.


Due to the upcoming PSLE, all compositions and Maths problems will be geared towards the P5/6 levels. After the PSLE, they will be pitched at the P3/4 levels.


Today's word problem is extracted from the following book:



This is one book from a series of Mathematics assessment books. The series has a book for each primary level. I purchased the whole series when I was still a teacher in school. I highly recommend this series as the questions in them cover a wide range of word problems from intermediate to challenging. I also like them because I find the problems tend to be of a 'thinking' nature, i.e. challenging, application-kind of questions, rather than the memorise-the-answer type.


Only downside that I can nitpick is that unlike certain kinds of assessment books which have one genre of question followed by many similar examples for the pupil to practise, this book is more of the one-genre-one-question type. Hence it should really be used more as a means to stretch the pupil's thinking ability, not for drilling.


Question for the day

I am thinking of a fraction. The sum of its numerator and denominator is 37. When I add 23 to its denominator, the fraction becomes 1/4. What is the fraction I'm thinking of?


Solution




If you find any part of the explanation unclear, feel free to email me at learningpartnersyishun@gmail.com.


Happy learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment