Saturday 8 June 2013

A COMPOSITION A WEEK - BUZZZ OFF!

Encounter with animals are a common topic in PSLE Continuous Writing, especially the picture compositions. Past year questions included a boy whose finger was pinched by a crab and a man who was sprayed with water by an elephant. For this week's Composition, we'll feature a story about bees. Enjoy!





Buzzz Off!

          I had always thought that my ninth birthday would be very exciting and memorable, but it was not at all what I had expected. In fact, it was horrible.

          On my ninth natal day, I received a present from my parents and it was what I had always wanted – a small catapult. As it was my birthday, they decided to bring me to the nearby park to have some fun. Wanting to try out my new catapult, I brought it with me to the park.

A catapult, aka slingshot.
Be careful with it, for like any other weapon,
it can be hazardous.


          As my parents and I entered the park, a gust of cool balmy breeze greeted us and we felt rejuvenated. There was a small pond in the park on which a few ducklings were gliding. We heard the calls of both cicadas and birds. Just then, I felt thirsty and so, my parents went off to buy some drinks from the drink stall in the park.

          Being left alone and feeling bored, I decided to try out my catapult. I scanned the ground eagerly and to my delight, I found a small pebble. Then I looked around to find a target and almost instantly, I spotted a bird nest with three fledglings in it. I loaded my catapult with the pebble and aimed at the nestlings. Then I stretched the rubber band backwards before releasing it with gusto.

          The stone flew in a trajectory. I looked around and realised that everyone else was holding their breath and praying. Curious, I turned back to look at the pebble that I had shot. To my horror, the stone did not hit the nestlings but something that I did not notice before – a beehive! The stone crashed into the hive with jarring force. The people around me ran away, screaming like banshees, while I stood rooted to the ground, aghast at what I had done.

          Then I regained my senses and tried to flee from the outraged bees but to no avail as the bees stung me. I felt burning stings in my face, neck and arms. Never had I experienced such agony! I was shrieking in pain when suddenly, someone grabbed me and pulled me into the pond.

          We only resurfaced for air when we thought that our lungs would burst. To our relief, the bees had moved on. After emerging from the pond, I realised that it was my father who had saved me. I had no time to thank him as I was being carried into the ambulance on a stretcher after which I was sent to the hospital.

          Apart from myself, no one else was severely injured. Fortunately, my life was not in danger. After this incident, I vowed never to provoke bees again.


Lee Xuan Hua
Northland Primary School (P6 - 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment